Now that I have finished with all of the end of the year posts and end of the month posts I can now talk about the challenges I want to take part in this year. Some of these are challenges I am joining and some are ones I made for myself. Also these books aren’t all set in stone so I might end up changing things throughout the year depending on my mood. Lets jump in shall we.
1.) The StoryGraph/Goodreads Reading Challenge
Ok this isn’t two different challenges it’s just two different sites. I always do the Goodreads reading challenge. I started using The StoryGraph last year and I really like the site and I am trying to make it my go to site to use but because I am so used to Goodreads I know I’m not going to get rid of it completely so I will just use both sites. My reading goal for the year is 100 books.
2.) Bookbloggers 2021 Fiction Reading Challenge #BB2021FRC created by Lynne from Fictionophile
This seemed like an easy challenge I could participate in this year and actually complete because there are only 8 prompts and we have the entire year to complete it plus I love supporting fellow bloggers.
- title contains a man/boys name: Dear Martin by Nic Stone
- title contains the name of an animal: Sparrow by L.J. Shen
- title contains the name of a season: Winter by Marissa Meyer
- title contains the word secret or secrets: The Secret Note by Lauren Rowe
- title contains a number: Two by Two by Nicholas Sparks
- title refers to time (hours, minutes etc.): Midnight Sun by Stephanie Meyer
- title refers to a body of water: Sea Scope by Debbie De Louise
- title contains the name of a bird: Serpent & Dove by Shelby Mahurin
3.) What’s In A Name Reading Challenge hosted by Andrea from Carolina Book Nook
This is a new to me challenge that I came across this year and once again it seemed like an easy challenge I could complete seeing as there’s only 6 prompts and we have the entire year to complete it.
In 2021, choose 6 books that have titles that contain a:
- One/1 (ex. One Second After; The 100): The One by Kiera Cass
- Doubled word (ex. In a Dark, Dark Wood; Wolf by Wolf): Two by Two by Nicholas Sparks
- Reference to outer space (ex. The Fault in Our Stars): All the Stars and Teeth by Adalyn Grace
- Possessive noun (ex. The Zookeeper’s Wife): The Husband’s Secret by Liane Moriarty
- Botanical word (ex. The Language of Flowers; The Sandalwood Tree): Sorcery of Thorns by Margaret Rogerson
- Article of clothing (ex. Bossypants): Little Black Dress, Little White Lies by Laura Stampler
4.) Husband Picks
I did this challenge last year and failed. I had him pick 10 books and I think I read 4. This year I’ve decided to have him pick 5 to begin with and if I read those 5 I will have him pick 5 more and so on and so forth. Here are his first picks.
- Shades of Wicked by Jeaniene Frost
- Slayer by Kiersten White
- RoseBlood by A.G. Howard
- Batman: Nightwalker by Marie Lu
- Nevernight by Jay Kristoff
5.) The NetGalley Reading Challenge
I don’t know if this is an actual challenge but for myself I want to clear out my NetGalley shelf. I have 11 books on NetGalley that I have yet to read and I am pretty sure they are all overdue. Here are the 11 books I hope to read.
- The Love Scam by MaryJanice Davidson
- Tangled Threat by Heather Graham
- The Wrong Kind of Love by Lexi Ryan
- Extinction of All Children by L.J. Epps
- Journey to Territory M by L.J. Epps
- Journey to Territory U by L.J. Epps
- The Lost Wife by Anna Mansell
- Guilty by Laura Elliot
- Baby Doll by Hollie Overton
- Beautifully Broken by Laura Lee
- The Inevitable Collision of Birdie and Bash by Candace Ganger
6.) 21 Books In 2021
Again I did this last year and totally failed but I am all for try and try again. Here are the 21 books I have picked from my shelves.
- Sorcery of Thorns by Margaret Rogerson
- Only Mostly Devastated by Sophie Gonzales
- The Shadows Between Us by Tricia Levenseller
- A Court of Mist & Fury by Sarah J. Maas
- Heartstopper by Alice Oseman
- The One by Kiera Cass
- The Beautiful by Renee Ahdieh
- The Edge of Great by Micol Ostow
- Serpent & Dove by Shelby Mahurin
- Blanca & Roja by Anna-Marie McLemore
- Always and Forever, Laura Jean by Jenny Han
- The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware
- Lost in a Book by Jennifer Donnelly
- Still Me by Jojo Moyes
- Love & Lock by Jenna Evans Welch
- Midnight Sun by Stephanie Meyer
- A Curse So Dark and Lonely by Brigid Kemmerer
- The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society by Marry Ann Shaffer
- Lucky in Love by Kasie West
- The Queen of Nothing by Holly Black
- Winter by Marissa Meyer
7.) Beat the Backlist #BeatTheBacklist #BeatTheBacklist2021 #BTB2021 Hosted by Austine & Katie from Novel Knight
I decided to attempt Beat the Backlist this year. I have participated in this challenge twice before several years ago and failed both times. This year they have made it very simple. There’s no sign up or anything you just read books published in 2020 or before. They do have 2 bingo boards you could do if you wanted to but I am keeping it very simple and I’m just going to read. My goal for this is 25 books and if I read the books for my other challenges I should have no problems completing it. I’m not picking a TBR for this one I am just going to count them as I read them.
8.) Buzzword Readathon/Reading Challenge created by Kayla from BooksandLala
This year Kayla has decided to choose the words for every month ahead of time and you participate however and whenever you want. I have decided to do what Kayla plans to do and treat it as a reading challenge and read one book each month for each of the prompts. There are of course 12 prompts and my goal is to read 12 books. If you are interested in joining this year long readathon/challenge check out Kayla’s video where she goes over everything you need to know and gives recommendations for each of the prompts. Here are the prompts and my initial choices but some of them are subject to change.
- January (dream) Once Upon a Dream by Liz Braswell
- February (a color) Little Black Dresses, Little White Lies by Laura Stampler
- March (time) As Old As Time by Liz Braswell
- April (space/galaxy terms) All the Stars and Teeth by Adalyn Grace
- May (house/home) Hometown Girl by Courtney Walsh
- June (name/title) The Queen of Nothing by Holly Black
- July (last) The Last Time I Lied by Riley Sager
- August (time of day) Midnight Sun by Stephani Meyer
- September (dark) A Curse So Dark and Lonely by Brigid Kemmerer
- October (elements) Sea Scope by Debbie De Louise
- November (lost) The Lost Wife by Anna Mansell
- December (day/month/season) Winter by Marissa Meyer
And the last year long thing I plan on joining is The Swoon Sisters Book Club. This is a book club dedicated to reading romance and of course I am here for anything that’s going to have me reading more romance. I’m pretty sure they only plan on reading 1 book a month so again I’m hoping to read 12 books for this challenge. So far they have picked books for the first 3 months and the rest are to be determined.
- January – Royally Screwed by Emma Chase
- February – Reign of the King by Rina Kent
- March – The Chase by Elle Kennedy
- April –
- May –
- June –
- July –
- August –
- September –
- October –
- November –
- December –
10.) 20 Books of Summer created by Cathy from 746Books
I also hope to participate in this challenge again this year. I think it runs from June 1st through September 1st. If I do join in I will pick the books closer to the start day and share another post.
Wow that was a lot more than I thought. Oh well most of these are short and quick challenges and they are all pretty much year long so maybe I will actually be able to complete at least some of these this year. Ideally I would love to complete all of them but we shall see. Are you participating in any of these challenges this year. Are you joining something I haven’t mentioned?